Saturday, February 20, 2010

The New Start on My Day

Everyday an hour before breakfast I take my generic synthroid. I've been at it for a few months and I will be at it for the rest of my life so it's good it's not too annoying and it's good that the pills are tiny and as cute as pills can be. Cute always helps!




The top is a representative of the pills they started me on after my first scan. The little blue one is the higher dose they started me last month. In March I get to do more blood work to check my levels and there may be another adjustment after that. Thyroid medications take six weeks to show their full effect so it can take a while to find my ideal dose. I'm pretty happy with what I have-- the blue ones are so cute! I'll take an increase if it's recommended and wonder what color it will be.

A nice thing about these adjustments is that it allows me the opportunity to build something of a stash since the insurance does not allow me to get more than a 30 day supply at a time. This way I can have some put away in our 72 hour kits (the ones I still have to assemble) and know that I'll be covered just in case-- I'm okay with having an out of date dose in an emergency. It's strange to think this way-- all worst case scenario governmental collapse and such but I find it's part of living with a dependency-- I need these pills-- I will die without them. How many things can you say that about and mean it very literally? At times it's still hard to wrap my brain around this concept when I stop to think about it.

I'm positive I'll get completely used to it. Cute always helps!

1 comment:

Charlene said...

I have been taking them for 19 years now. They do change periodically - different colors and shapes by strength. Yeah they are cute. LOL But you get totally used to taking them and almost forget they are a necessary pill to sustain you. Just another thing you have to do every morning like brushing your teeth.
Would I lie to you? Really! lol