Friday, May 1, 2009

Adventures Out Back-- The Main Pond

First I must say that my husband did a great job of finding a home for us! He did it by himself, as I was working in California, and he did it on a very tight time-line-- I'm not ruling out divine intervention here-- this is a good place for us. The house has it's quirks and is not amazing all by itself. What makes it all noteworthy is what's Out Back.

We have a fenced in yard to call our, rented, own but behind our back gate is not another house, it's a park. A wooded park with a walking trail loop-- the typical playground and sports field is on the other side but most of our time is spent surrounded by trees and with spring comes a lot of cool things to see. the next few posts will be about those!



This is the main pond. This photo was taken a couple of weeks ago and the place as greened up a bit since. I left this photo large so you can get a closer look of you want. This shows roughly two thirds of the pond. It's not huge but is not small and lots of folks live here.




The nesting goose is one of my favorites for many reasons: 1) she's always there so I look forward to seeing her 2) it's neat to watch her nest (not quite as passive as one might think-- still a lot of sitting though) and 3) I'm really looking forward to goslings! The thought makes me beam inside.

And if you look behind and to the right you'll see the Heron-- not the best picture, I know, he's on the other side of the pond. He's more of a visitor than a resident-- but pretty awesome. That day I watched him catch two fish. They wriggle as they go down his throat!




I went out on the first really sunny day we've had in a long long time and was surprised to see turtles... we had never seen them here before. There are 9 in the photo above and as I sat I counted no fewer than 25 ranging in size between 2 1/2 to 5 inches long. Times like this I wish I had a telephoto lens/ camera with telephoto lens capability.



These Green Frogs are pretty common (they can withstand higher pollution levels than many other frogs-- and this pond receives runoff from an adjacent golf course) but they typically don't stay still long enough to get a good look. These are the ones that croak a "meeerp!" as they jump into the water to hilarious effect especially if several jump in succession.

I learned that sitting still, and having a nice toasty sun out, will coax them to hold still. A few days later I learned that it's a different game at night!

No comments: