Monday, February 1, 2010

Snowflakes

It all started when I was put on the window decorating committee at the little store in which I try to sell some of my puppets. (for the locals-- is called The Artisan's Circle in our new location in downtown Williamston, MI go check it out! oh and buy a finger puppet!)

For one of the elements of the window I wanted to paint on snowflakes. I knew I wanted a stencil of some kind and I knew I wanted to use 'frosted glass' spray paint to make the snowflakes look more like etched glass and a bit more subtle and less cartoonish. I had seen cans of frosted glass before and wanted to play with it but I needed a good reason. I was very happy with the result.




The stencil was a bit harder to find. First because I was looking in the stencil section. I ended up using a festive spatula (the pancake turning kind, not the bowl scraping kind) I found at Jo-Ann's-- a stencil with a handle! When you tape on a paper plate with the center removed you then have a self-masking stencil with a handle. And I must say it's very nice-- and very fast. Addictive.





The store window came together well-- in fact we won best retail window in Williamston-- yay! Not bad for the new kids. And I learned that it's a bit tricky to photograph windows well-- at least not without waiting around all day for perfect light so I'm going to ask you to use your imagination and see through the photography.




This is at night... much more magical in person. The flakes kind of glow when back lit.





Early this winter I started feeling a little down. Needing to feel Christmas without really decorating for it since we're not at our house for the weeks surrounding Christmas. So these little guys pulled me right out of it. In fact for a while there I was on some sort of snowflake high! So I guess if these snowflakes where like a drug to me then they were like pot-- because I wanted to share! I started snowflaking the windows others... sometimes when they were not home.

When I asked my beau if he wanted to come with me on a snowflake run he smiled and replied, "I want no part of your petty vandalism."

Too bad, more for me!

We went to California and I bought another spatula and another can of frosted glass spray paint. Yes I spread the snowflake love to Sacramento.

Mine are still on my window. And they still make me smile.

No comments: