Friday, March 12, 2010

Butternut Squash Soup

I want to like squash. I really do! The only problem is that I don't-- with the exception of pie of course. That is until this soup! Now I have hope. Hope that perhaps I have a gateway into squash! We'll see how that goes but for now I know now there are two squash dishes I enjoy-- and one isn't even a dessert. I'm so proud!




I used Alton Brown's recipe. I garnished with bacon and used a stick of string cheese as my spoon. This soup can be made with other types of squash or even cans of pumpkin puree. The fist time I made it I did not have enough butternut squash so I used a can of pumpkin to supplement and it worked well. My batches turned out really thick which is good in many ways except it makes an exceptional mess if you let it bubble on the stove without a lid-- so don't do that.




In the video he shows a great way to cut up hard winter squash... seems much safer.

This was a double batch of soup I made so I could can a portion for later so now I have five pints waiting for when I feel like having it again. Yay for pressure canners-- we'll see how they do from the shelf.

2 comments:

Charlene said...

I love butternut Squash Soup. And now that I know you like it, that makes two people I know that eat it. lol We can get it in fall at the fresh deli section of our local supermarket. yummmy

Andrea Michelle said...

Yum! this is my favorite! dad used to make it for us :o) I actually like it cold :o)