Sunday, March 15, 2009

A Special Dress for Mataya's Special Day

Yesterday my niece, Mataya was baptized. Yay Tay! I wish I could have been there but that was not a viable option logistically/economically-- but I did get to make a dress of her. I had about a week to make it to be sure it got to California on time. It's tricky to make clothes for someone too far away to do a fitting. Here are a few pictures from her baptism and of the dress. (the dress I made is in the lower pictures, the first few photos are right before the baptism while she's wear the fancy-dancy baptism polyester jumper!) You can click on the picture to see a larger image-- hope you like them!





I'm glad to see her smiling-- I heard the water was cold! Mine was cold too way back when... I understand the temptation to fill the font the night before (very efficient) but I wish they wouldn't. But it's still worth it.



This is Mataya with her dad, my brother-in-law, Jeff who performed the baptism. I'm sure the experience was special for both of them.

Afterward Heather took her to the park for her own little photoshoot which I'm sure Mataya thoroughly enjoyed. Heather took these nice pictures and I did a little photoshopy stuffity stuff.









This sash took about a day, it has five layers to it and the iridescent sequins were sewn on with a little bead by hand. Mataya is a real glitter girl and both Heather and I wanted that to be reflected in the dress but in a contained way. The "bow" is a pin that holds the sash closed. It's hard to see in the picture but in the center of the bow is a pink flower with a sequin in the middle.




I think it's just one of those basic rules that the little girl's dress should have the twirl factor!


2 comments:

Dani said...

Wow. That is incredible! If only I could sew... online tutorials, maybe?

Kristen said...

Hi Dani! I have no doubts that you would be able to learn to sew if you wanted. Miss you! Miss Logan! Thanks for visiting my tiny piece of the web! I've been enjoying your blog :)