Thursday, March 19, 2009

Starting the Garden

We've had some delightfully warm weather (Tuesday got up to 65 degrees!) so we're shifting into garden-mode. Yay Garden-Mode! Over the weekend Dennis started the tomato, pepper, and herb seeds as well as marking out the plot in the backyard. During the nice weather I took the opportunity to turn the grass under to start the process of preparing the ground.



The garden is 10x30. The work spanned two days (only about 7 hours total). And yes, I'm still sore. But I'm getting better so we'll see when I get this raked out (weather's getting chilly again).



On the first day I had some company which was nice. This little guy hung out for almost an hour. We were after the same thing-- making the most of the sunny day.



He was probably about 20 inches long... he's the first garter snake I've seen here so now that's one more for the critter count. (the day before was the first time I saw our groundhog out and about since winter started-- ah Spring! it's coming!)

cute!

1 comment:

Charleneanne said...

wow your landlord is letting you guys dig up the backyard and put in a veggie garden. cool landlord.